Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Simply soup

"Soup is cuisine's kindest course.  It breathes reassurance; it steams consolation."
Louis P. De Gouy, 'The Soup Book' (1949)


To put it simply: I love soup.  


I love the tingle of anticipation I get when I decide that my evening will consist of flinging handfuls of vegetables, meats, herbs and various other simple ingredients into a big pot, stirring occasionally, and knowing that the outcome will be a mouth-watering mingling of those individual flavors.  I love that one pot of soup can warm a kitchen on a winter day and that its scent will waft through the house, tickling cold noses with the promise of sustenance and contentment that comes with each hearty spoonful.  I love holding a steaming soup bowl in my hands and breathing it in, then taking that first eager bite (always too hot since I can't wait), preferably with a big hunk of crusty bread.  I love the inherent simplicity in sharing a meal of soup with friends--gathering around a table set with only bowls and spoons, serving heaping ladlefuls into each dish, relishing the time spent together laughing and knowing that you have played a part in keeping those you love fulfilled.


All that to say, I'm going to cook soup.  Lots of soup.  At least once a week for the foreseeable future (particularly these upcoming cold months), I intend to try one new soup recipe and document the process here with pictures, notes, and maybe even some outside feedback after the times when I share with others. :)  I'm hoping that the public nature of a blog will give me some semblance of accountability for this project (debatable, since I have attempted before with varying degrees of success), and maybe even encourage others to experiment in their own kitchens.  Perhaps someone will start a bread-baking blog and we could occasionally combine forces, for there are few marriages more perfect than that of bread and soup.


Soup #1 is still undecided, but I'm ready with a stock pot, an immersion blender, and (of course!) a spoon once inspiration hits.  Any volunteers for taste-testing?

9 comments:

  1. katie this is such a WONDERFUL idea. :) i'm eating soup while i'm reading it now! can't wait to read all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT TO BE A TESTER.

    oh, wait. snap.

    :) lookin' forward to drooling over your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, great blog name, and great tagline! I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be a taste tester!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I'm back. I thought you'd like to know that you inspired me to make soup for dinner this evening -- New England Clam Chowder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures and writing! What a great idea! Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bess and Kelsey: Wish I could share my soups with you! Some day. :)

    Monica: OKAY!!!

    Rachel: Thanks! It's always nice to receive affirmation from a more prolific blogger. :) Hope your soup was delicious!

    Mom: Thanks! I can't take any credit for these pictures, but the rest will hopefully be all mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm... you KNOW I'll be a taste tester!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, Katie! I love soups, too, so I'll definitely be checking in to find new recipes! My friend & I had a soup cooking night a couple of weeks ago and made 4 different soups that we froze for lunches. Yesterday we made a chorizo pumpkin soup. I didn't taste it yet, but my friend & her hubby said that it's AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete